Saturday, April 21, 2012

Italian night

I grew up near my cousins.  Our families would get together and have big Italian feasts.  Pasketti, homemade meat balls, garlic bread, salad... the works!  My uncle would spend all day making the meatballs, as they were the highlight of the meal!  He would always tell us it was his secret recipe. 

For years, I have wanted that recipe.  So, for one of my birthdays, my aunt typed it all out for me and sent it my way!  I have never shrieked so loud.  Hubby came running and I was jumping up and down an waving a piece of paper around!  I HAD THE RECIPE!!!!!!  WOOOHOOOO!!!!

Tonight was the perfect night for meatballs.  Is there a non perfect night for meatballs?!  I would have loved to do the pasta and garlic bread, but I don't do that anymore (my choice)!  I made a couple of Kelli Ann twists on the recipe.  You know I had to put my own spin on it!!! 

Kelli Ann's meatball extravaganza
adapted form Uncle Mike's Famous meatballs

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork (I use one tube-y thing of Jimmy Dean)
1/4 c. good red wine 
less than 1/4 c. bread crumbs, I used garlic and herb
whole wedge of parmesan cheese, shredded
minced garlic, a whole lot of it!

My uncle uses fennel seeds, and parsley, as well as some eggs to bind.  I just forgot all that tonight!  The shredded cheese was enough of a binder that I didn't need the eggs!  I use both the pork and the beef as it keeps it super moist!  Dry meat = not a happy pouch!

So, mix all your ingredients together until well combined.  Form into whatever size meatballs you'd like.  I make mine fairly large because they are my meal!  Place them into the bottom of a deep-ish pan.  I used my roasting pan.  Pour enough water to cover the bottom of the pan and come partly up the meatballs.  Cover the pan TIGHTLY with foil.  Make sure you seal the edges well!  Pop the pan into an oven pre-heated to 350.  Cook them for 45-59 min, depending on the size.  In the last 10-15 min of cooking remove the foil so the tops can brown up.  They come out perfectly done while still being moist and SUPER tasty!!!!!

My uncle normally fries them and cooks them through in the sauce.  I wanted to try steaming them.  WOOHOOOO, they came out out great!  I simply topped mine with a bit of jarred sauce!  You can pair these with whatever kind of italian food you like!
Sorry for the half eaten, blurry pic!  I was simply soooooo hungry!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment