Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Comfort food to the max!

When it is cold and rainy out I crave comfort foods.  Warm and saucy pasta to be exact!  One teeny tiny problem with this picture... I don't eat pasta any more.  What is a gal to do without pasta?!?!?!  Well, come up with something else entirely, DUH!

I came up with Veggie lasagna.  No noodles!  Yes, you heard me right!  NO NOODLES!  I used Eggplant, zucchini, and some mushrooms!  I cut them into ribbons, well... that isn't ENTIRELY true... I made my hubby do all the cutting.  Anything with a blade kinda scares me at the moment. I am still trying to re-grow my thumb tip!

Ok here is the recipe...

Tomato Sauce (yes, today I made my own)

1 can San Marzano crushed tomatoes. I like these, you can use whatever you have!
minced garlic (I LIKE TONS, but it is to taste)
one small hunk of butter
fennel seeds
oregano
KSP
parsley flakes
tomato paste
Tapatio

Saute the garlic in the butter (how bad can that be?!).  Add the can of crushed tomatoes and a couple squrits of the paste.  I use the tube-y kind, but you can use the kind in a can.  It adds a richness to the sauce!  Then start adding spices.  I added a couple of dashes of Tapatio because I didn't have red pepper flakes!  This is all about what tastes good to you, or me in this case!  Simmer for about 30 ish minutes while you prep the rest of the stuff!

Now for the rest of it.... Make sure you have a heavy, oven safe pot.  I am using this ADORABLE dutch oven I got.  It is a pink heart!  how cute is that!!?!?!? Then I layered the eggplant ribbons and zuchinni ribbons with some portabello mushrooms, then sauce, then fresh mozzarella cheese!  Make sure you end with cheese on the top.  Pop that baby in the oven!  Cook it on 375 for about an hour.  Take the top off the cook it for an aditional 20ish minutes to brown it all up!

Let it cool for a bit!  I know you are going to want to dive right in, but let it cool and firm up a bit!  No burning mouths, here!!!!
Not mine, but you get the idea.  I couldn't even find my phone to take a blurry pic with, so I googled!!!!

ENJOY!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment